15.3.09

100

My blog is now 100 posts old. Cool. Didn't realize time had gone so quickly. Speaking of old...

My computer is dying a slow painful death. The Windows side now occasionally loses track of the power connection, decides there's no battery, and promptly shuts down. It's really annoying when you're trying to kill a guy in WoW, or chat with Vinny, and then your computer dies, and it takes 15 minutes to start back up again, because Windows sucks. However, my Ubu partition is fine, and it never experiences this problem. I think something changed with the new bios I installed that affects control of the fan and heat dissipation, because the fan is also really loud whenever I've got Windows booted up.

I want to take this computer all the way through college, because I can't really afford to get a computer every two years. If something fails seriously, I may try to take advantage of my extended coverage plan at Best Buy that expires at the end of this coming summer, but I really hope ::knock on wood:: that nothing bad happens. I'm going to have to start backing up stuff, just in case.

Something I've been looking at is the possibility of getting a netbook and trying out using the cloud for everything. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, and my fingers are fairly large, but it would definitely be a change. And I don't play video games on my computer a whole lot anymore either, so that wouldn't be a serious issue. And if I did want to play games, good desktops are pretty cheap now that laptops are the standard.

I dunno, I'd really like to not have to replace my computer. That would be great with me.

3 comments:

  1. You've been talking to Martin haven't you? :-P He and I were talking about the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I love my macbook, but I'd love a desktop that I can just store things on. I don't want to have to keep plugging and unplugging external hard drives to my laptop, and I don't like not having the things i need with me.

    I'm seriously contemplating selling my macbook, and building a cheap desktop (~$620), and then getting the Asus EeePC 910 Linux edition, for a total of $800, which I'm hoping I can get for my macbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My computer is dying too. I had to get an external hard drive so I can back everything up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. here's knocking on wood for the computer. i'm doing the same for my backpack. not the same i know, but i love it dearly, and i'm so close to getting all the way through college...

    ReplyDelete